Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 4, Web Lecture, Post 3: cell phones

In Professor Cyborg's web lecture, "Technology and Teams," she writes that "In less than a decade, cell phones have gone from a search-for-a-signal tech-toy for the wealthy to the most pervasive mobile computing platform on the planet."

I remember using pay phones and land lines as primary modes of communication throughout my childhood and teenage years. In fact, I didn't get a cell phone until I moved away for college. My parents actually still have their very first cell phone. It's about 4 inches long and 4 inches wide with a pull out antennae.

On a side tangent: For those of you who have seen "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion," remember the scene where Romy says, "If anyone needs to make a call, I have a phone"? She pulls out a large cell phone from her bag. And remember Zach Morris's giant phone from "Saved By the Bell"? Classic.

Anyway, in addition to pay phones and landlines, beepers or pagers were very popular. I had a clear blue one and loved getting messages on it. It made me feel connected. Today I am able to keep in touch with my family and friends through text messages, email and instant messaging. I've never been much of a phone talker so being able to send out quick hello's on my blackberry is great. Being able to use applications on my phone has been a lifesaver and although I don't feel lost without it, I do enjoy the comfort of knowing that I can look up movie times, directions, etc. with the touch of a button.

No comments:

Post a Comment