Friday, June 26, 2009

Week 4, Web Lecture, Post 4: Real vs. Virtual Communication

In Professor Cyborg's web lecture on "Technology and Teams" she writes, "Recent research found that teens use IM to begin, maintain, and end romantic relationships (Lenhart, Madden, & Hitlin, 2005). These relationships—and the feelings that go along with them—are quite real. Categorizing IMing, emailing, podcasting, blogging, and the like as virtual suggests that these communication forms lack substance, impact, and meaning. Yet these messages produce actual effects. When we start thinking about what we do with various communication technologies rather than what they are, we're better able to use them in the best ways for group and team communication."

When I communicate using instant messaging, text messaging, and emails, the feelings and emotions I put into written word are genuine. Sometimes though, it is easier to send a quick text message than it is to verbalize something. I like sending text messages to family members and friends when I am going to be a few minutes late. Especially since the new law went into effect prohibiting cell phone usage during driving. (Don't worry, I only send texts when I am sitting at a red light.)

It's not always effective to use emails to communicate though, especially in a business setting. Words can be misconstrued and misunderstandings can arise making the work environment uneasy. For example, I dealt with someone at my last place of work that sent out very pragmatic emails that were on the verge of being rude. In person, this colleague was very nice and friendly. I'm not sure if it was her particular writing style but her emails did not reflect her personality. Sometimes I had to visit her cubicle to ask her for clarification on a particular email. And as was usually the case, she was better at verbalizing her thoughts than typing than out. I'm quite the opposite. I find it easier for me to express myself with written words than to articulate myself with spoken words. Being shy, I have had to work at being more vocal and expressing myself as an extrovert would, when I am actually an introvert.

1 comment:

  1. I think there is a fine line when it comes to this theme. I have a friend who has been dating someone online for about a year. This seems quite real to him and I don't think he realizes how unhealthy it is for him. Mainly, because he doesn't admit that he has developed feelings for this person.

    I communicate with my friends through text messaging often. But, it is mainly because I'm super busy. I know I would rather speak to them or see them, but it seems more convenient just to text.

    I see your point about being shy and using these mediums to be more of an extrovert though.

    ReplyDelete