Thursday, July 2, 2009

Week 5, Chapter 9, Post 1: Supportive Communication

In chapter 9, on page 288, we find the term "supportive communication," which according to research, "emphasizes active listening and taking a real interest in employees -- is even more useful to organizational leaders than openness."

I've talked about two managers that I have had at different jobs in one of my previous posts and it seems appropriate to bring them up now. The first manager (A) I had was very personable and really did take an interest in my overall well-being. The second manager (B) I had was cordial but more concerned about my well-being at work. Manager A bought me a toaster as a house warming gift when I moved into my new apartment. She bought me a going away gift bag that was full of thoughful gifts that I would need as I embarked on my new journey in life. Manager B gave me a bottle of champagne for Christmas and a Starbucks gift card as a thank you for working on a project while she was away. I'm not equating gifts or their monetary value with how well my managers treated me... the point I'm trying to make is that Manager A took the time to get to know me and what was going on with my life. She realized that work was not the only facet of my life and that outside of work, I had interests and struggles and "life". Manager B was more concerned about how my performance at work affected her boss' perception of me and her and although she did reward me for great projects, I didn't feel like my life outside of work mattered much. Looking back on my last two jobs now, I can see that I trusted Manager A more than I trusted Manager B. Manager A was like a work mother to me in the best sense of the term and Manager B was just someone I reported to.

No comments:

Post a Comment