Friday, July 3, 2009

Week 5, Chapter 11, Post 3: Mindful Approach

In Chapter 11, on page 345, we find the term "mindful" approach. It is written in the textbook that, "a mindful approach to organizational communication enables us to understand talk 'as a mental and relational activity that is both purposeful and strategic' (Goodall & Goodall, 206, p. 52.)"

I have often heard that the best way to tell someone how you feel is by using sentences that start with, "I feel..." versus, "You make me feel..." A lot of television therapists will tell their patients that conveying themselves in this manner to their spouse will make what they are trying to convey sound less defensive and in turn make their significant other less offensive. I know that when I try to communicate my feelings to my boyfriend or to family members or colleagues or friends, I always try to be mindful not to hurt their feelings. We can joke around and make fun of each other in a playful way but we should be mindful of other people's reactions and verbal cues.

No comments:

Post a Comment